What is a community micro-enterprise?
A small care or support business that helps people to live independently and well. Often, they are sole traders but could be a small Limited Company employing up to eight people. They can provide a range of services including:
- Support to remain independent at home – cleaning, preparing meals, gardening etc.
- Companionship and support to access social groups and activities
- Support with personal care needs
Examples of community micro-enterprises in Pembrokeshire
Help at Home
Based in the Tenby area, ‘Help at Home’ is sole trader business set up and run by Michelle Thomas.
Michelle saw the local need for people who required a bit of support to stay living independently at home; as well as having a trusted, friendly person providing companionship. ‘Help at Home’ offers a range of support including cleaning, shopping, laundry, meal preparation, gardening, light decorating and de-cluttering.
Find out more about Help at Home on their Facebook page.
Based in Milford Haven, ‘S&A Buddies’ is a small business with a great local reputation for providing quality companionship and helping people to feel part of the community.
S&A Buddies was set up after realising how many people were stuck at home and becoming isolated in the local area.
Find out more about S&A Buddies on their Facebook page.
How can I set up a community micro-enterprise?
Micro-Enterprise Catalyst, Lee James, offers free 1-1 support to turn your service idea into reality. This includes:
- Developing your idea and understand the regulations you’ll need to comply with
- Creating your portfolio including: insurance, DBS check and service agreement contract
- Marketing your service and connect with customers
- Developing your service and become sustainable
Is it for me?
The most important thing you need is a genuine passion for helping people. Everything else, we can help with.
The benefits of setting up your own community micro-enterprise are that you can:
- Work the hours that suit you
- Design a service that makes the most of your skills and interests
- Help people with a need close to your heart, in your community
How do I find out more and make a start?
Get in touch with Lee for an initial chat on:
lee.james@PLANED.org.uk or call Lee on 07535 810003
Follow the project on Twitter: @LeeJamesPLANED
Like the project on Facebook: @CatalystsForCare